- Durham, NC, is located in the center of North Carolina in an area called “TheTriangle” including Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. The Triangle has a temperate 4-season climate and is about three hours from either the Carolina coast or the Appalachian Highlands. Durham’s population is about 245,000 and is the most ethnically diverse of the major communities in the state.
- THE ARTS: Durham is the home for the world renowned American Dance Festival, the award-winning Durham Performing Arts Center, and dozens of restaurants that have earned national or regional acclaim. Add in the North Carolina Symphony, Durham Arts Council, Third Friday Art Walks, Open Studios, Duke University’s Nasher Museum of Art, the North Carolina Museum of Art, amateur and professional theatre companies, Centerfest, the Festival for the Eno, the historic Carolina Theatre, and the American Tobacco Campus which is home to WUNC, Back Porch Music on the Lawn, and the Full Frame Film Festival, and it’s clear that you’ll never be bored.
- HIGHER EDUCATION: Durham boasts Duke University and North Carolina Central University with easy access to UNC Chapel Hill, NC State, and Wake Forest University. These universities draw talented students and faculty from all over the world.
- CITY OF MEDICINE: Durham’s physician-to-population ratio is almost 4.5 time the national average. Durham has 46% of the biotech firms based in North Carolina. Durham serves more than 200,000 veterans through the VA Medical Center with access to Duke Medical Center.
- NATURAL AREAS: Eno River State Park, Falls Lake, Jordan Lake, Umstead Park, Sarah P. Duke Gardens, and Duke Forest offer an abundance of access to natural areas, lakes and rivers. The American Tobacco Trail is 22+ miles of rails-to-trails available for walking and biking right through the city, and the Mountains to Sea Trail runs along the Eno River.
- SPORTS: Durham is home to the Durham Bulls minor league baseball team made famous in the 1988 movie, Bull Durham. The Triangle area also boasts the Carolina Hurricanes, the professional ice hockey team based in Raleigh, NC. For collegiate sports: Duke University, UNC Chapel Hill, NC State and Wake Forest University are all 40 minutes or less drive to home games.
- GAY DURHAM: Durham is an open and friendly place with a large, visible gay community. Durham hosts NC Pride and the renowned NC Gay and Lesbian Film Festival and boasts the new LGBTQ Center of Durham. Durham has been listed as a mid-sized city with the most same-sex couples.
Click here to sign up for our monthly newsletter!